Lacrosse Playoffs 2019

Leiann David

On May 16, all four Curtis High School lacrosse teams had games to play. The girls varsity team was to play Fort Hamilton in the semi-finals at Aviator Complex after beating the undefeated Petrides in the quarter finals. The varsity boys were also in the semi-finals, playing Tottenville at their home field. In addition, both the JV teams played their last home games of the regular season.  The girls played Brooklyn Tech, while the boys were to battle it out with New Dorp for their third time this season. A lot of focus fell upon both varsity teams because winning the game meant they would then advance to the championships, a chance to win it all. The teams had been working hard all season, but in the end, all four unfortunately fell short.

At Aviator, the girls varsity team ended the first half with Fort Hamilton in the lead (5-1), and a final score of (7-5). The team had great players like Allison Kaht, with a total of two goals, her sister, Meghan Khat who scored another two goals, and Katherine McNamara scored one goal as well. The team’s hustle and grit are what caught them up by the end of the game. “We really stepped it up in the second half. We played hard till the end and never gave up, the team showed what it’s like to truly be a Warrior till the end,” said team captain, Megan Hourican. They fought and played their hardest, playing not only for themselves but for each other. It was a tough end to the season and a sad goodbye to their seniors, Megan Hourican, Allison Kaht, Brooke Diaz, Mary Lewis, Barbara Lewis, and Mikiyah Murphy. Ultimately they hope to bring home a championship next year.

At Tottenville, the boys varsity team lost (7-2) to the Pirates after a tiring battle to get back in the game. Bader Alhagiko scored the two lone goals out of six shots on goal, with both assists from Joseph Rivera. Both players had just returned after being injured, Bader out with a broken rib and Joe with a broken wrist. Another key player was goalie and team captain, Jack O’Hara who had 17 saves. The team played their hearts out, but just couldn’t redeem themselves.

The JV boys game was a battle of who would advance into the championship. Both teams went into the game ready to bring it their all. The game started out strong with first  goal within the first 30 seconds from the team’s captain Alex Vega. They ended the first quarter with a tie (1-1), but soon the offense struggled under the pressure from New Dorp’s tight defense New Dorp then pulled away scoring another two goals to bring the score to (3-1) to end the first half. The team saw hope in the third quarter when Olayinka Kiadii scored a goal, but the defense was too strong. Key attackmen Ramon Guerrero, Zackary Kaltenmeier, and Olayinka Kiadii just did not have the ability to score goals. They blocked off offensive midfielders Matthew David, William Tran, and Alex Vega as well, completely shutting down the Warriors. It wasn’t until the fourth quarter when both teams scored a goal ending the game with a final score of (4-2).

The girls JV team suffered a tough loss to Brooklyn Tech. They ended the first half with a score of (3-1) due to their strong defense and a goal made by freshman, Olivia Meikhaeil. Freshman goalie Alyssa Sanchez played yet another incredible game with a total of seven saves. Andeta Kapica, a freshman midfielder, also had a great game winning control of almost every draw and working hard to set up her offense. The team continued to play their hardest throughout the rest of the game but could not catch up to Brooklyn Tech. Tech slowly pulled away in the second half with a five goal streak. “Even though we lost mostly every game, it was a good bonding experience for all of us. Once we came together as a team, we worked really hard and won our first game. It was a great season for all of us,” said Alyssa Sanchez.